Stay CLIA compliant by giving your patients secure access to lab results
Improve patient engagement
According to the Federal Register, a final rule which amends the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments of 1988 (CLIA) and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) specifies that by October 4, 2014, “upon the request of a patient (or the patient’s personal representative), laboratories subject to CLIA may provide the patient, the patient’s personal representative, or a person designated by the patient, as applicable, with copies of completed test reports that, using the laboratory’s authentication process, can be identified as belonging to that patient.”
Give your patients secure online access that offers convenient 24-hour availability of personal health information from anywhere with an internet connection. Routine lab results can be provided to any patient registered within the portal. Enable alerts so that when lab results are published to the patient portal, patients receive an e-mail message telling them to check the portal.
Patients should be able to download clinical reports that they care share with care providers via a secure messaging feature. Offer flexibility so they can access it from any computer or mobile device.
Benefits of a patient access portal include:
- Can reduce the administrative cost to manually prepare and supply results to patients.
- (CMS estimates that the cost to manually provide patients results is an average of $5.00 per test.)
- Complies with CLIA and HIPAA requirements, and can be customized for individual State laws
- Supports communication between patients and lab, diagnostic imaging center and hospital
- Creates a patient outreach mechanism for communication via email capabilities
- Encourages patients to be more engaged in their healthcare with 24 hour access to diagnostic results
- HIPAA secure patient authentication achieved using advanced algorithms to match patients’ lab and diagnostic test results to their protected health information
Glen Rock, NJ 07452